About Me

My photo
A greatly blessed, highly favored and deeply loved princess by the King of kings.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

We Were Not Spared…

From God’s umbrella of protection and provision.

Philippines is in the hot news again. This time because of the raging recent typhoon that devastated the center of the country. “Ondoy” is now part of one of the most tragic event of the nation.

I wasn’t aware of this typhoon as I woke up that Saturday morning. I needed to move fast or else I will be late again in the GLC class. Rain has started to cover the roads. Before I left the house, I was able to utter a simple prayer for the Marilao women’s retreat. As I look at my schedule that day, going to that retreat is impossible.

After class, the rain even intensified. All I know is the weather that day was not one of my favorites. In the afternoon, as we are about to have our singles’ meeting, a chruchmate informed us that some who went to the Marilao retreat were stranded by flood. As for me, I didn’t take the news seriously, thinking that very soon water will subside.

During and after the meeting, the heavy downpour didn’t stop. We were supposed to have our dgroup when one of my friends received a text message from her mom informing her to go home early. Her parents were trapped at the NLEX. Another friend texted us that she cannot attend as her mom also advised her to go home instead. Yet another one informed us that she left her office at 2pm but transportation is impossible. We decided to have a minute of prayer instead of having dgroup discussion. And I went home immediately as the rain continued to rage and this time together with strong winds.

As I reached home, I thought of the people who were still on the road and silently shot a prayer for them. Hours passed until I heard my brothers talking that water is coming in to our place. I immediately prayed and asked God to spare us from flood. I also texted my friends to pray for us too. Now I fully understand that the situation is serious and critical.

When I woke up that morning, water is now in our garage. Thank God, it didn’t enter the first floor of our house. All throughout the day news about the tragic effect of typhoon were shown in the television, text messages and radio stations. I have friends and relatives who were stranded for more than 16 hours in their cars, some slept not at their homes, and others spent tireless hours just to reach their houses. As I watched and heard of the hopeless tragedy, I felt how God protected my family. We are all safe in our home. That Sunday we even celebrated the 2nd birthday of my nephew, Jumong. Our properties are secured. We have plenty of food supply. My eldest sister and I were talking during dinner and she said, “Ang sarap naman ng food natin, kahit baha ang dami nating pagkain.”

I also felt the love and concern of our closest friends. Calls and text messages from people who I do not regularly talk with, made their way to contact us just to know how we are and to extend their concern. Indeed, it is during these times that you will know people who really care. I am so thankful to my college friends, churchmates and colleagues who called and sent us text messages. My cousin who’s in the States was one of the very first to give us a ring (she was actually my alarm clock that Sunday morning, hehe). And most of all, I am grateful that God protected me and my whole family. It pays to be a “beloved princess”.

I wouldn’t mention the details of the worse scenarios that happened, everything is in the news and internet anyway. What I want to say is that, life is too short to be wasted. In just a blink of an eye, all can perish. Nothing is permanent here on earth. Even inside the house, it is not safe. The question that rings to my mind now is, “what will I be doing when my time comes?” I hope and pray that when God calls me, I am busy… obeying what He has commanded me.

2 comments:

pamela said...

Bes I am really glad you and your family are safe. What happened was really sad and scary, let's just hope it will be an eye opener for us to take better care of our environment and to live a worthwhile life while we are still here because we never know when our time will come. May those who suffered and lost loved ones and possessions find comfort in the God and never lose faith and hope.

MARIE said...

There's a rainbow always after the rain. ;)